Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Training Your Dog The Sit Command

There's an old adage that states "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" and I've never understood it. Of course you can't, if you try, he will remember the tricks that you didn't teach him and that's what he will remember, that's how he will find your mistake. Well, it's still true, but with age comes wisdom and so you can teach him to be a better citizen. You can teach him to be a good citizen but you have to remember the dog has a shorter attention span than you and that you can teach him a few things at a time.

I have a Border Collie that is ten years old and he is a great dog. He used to wake me up in the middle of the night to go outside and he doesn't do that now. He never has, I have spent a lot of money on this dog, training him and buying him products but he is a better citizen than I am. If I want him to get out of the yard and exercise he wants to stay at home.

So, my advice is - don't try and teach an old dog new tricks. I'm happy that he is a better citizen than I am, I appreciate that, but he is a dog and he doesn't know the concept of a few hundred dollars spent on product and he also doesn't know the concept of a few months of a lonely bed at a homeless shelter with no access to a fenced in area. It's just hard to try and teach an old dog new tricks.

What I mean by this is when I'm talking to them about a walk or a run of the neighborhood, as we're walking through the streets and the neighborhood starts to fill with cars, my Border Collie tends to look at me and try to walk around my legs. He stays by my side and does not go over to check the traffic. He knows exactly what I am thinking and so he is at my side but he does not move towards the cars. He keeps on walking with me but he looks over his shoulder and he waits to see if I will move away from the cars. He knows that if I move towards the cars, I can get killed. I can't walk over the cars.

But the fact is, when we're done with the neighborhood, it doesn't matter what is going on in the neighborhood and we're on the road to wherever I want him to go, he walks with me but he doesn't go over to the traffic. He doesn't run to get out of the way. He doesn't move towards the cars because he knows that it's not his place to do anything. He is a good citizen, but he knows it's not his job to do anything. I've got to stay out of the way and my dog knows that.

That is the dynamic that I work with. The reason why I teach dogs this is so that they will always be good citizens. There is no question in my mind that if I was in the neighborhood and something was going on that my dog wouldn't go over to see what was going on. If I'm talking to him and I'm seeing what is going on, my dog knows that it's not his job to do something. He understands that I'm the head of the household and I'm the boss and he respects me and he listens to me. He listens to me more than he listens to anybody else because I tell him what to do and I'm the boss.

What I'm working with is that dynamic and I am working with him to see him work as a citizen. He has to listen to me because I am the boss. And the reason why I am the boss is so that I don't have to answer to anybody. I can stay out of trouble and I don't have to answer to anybody.

I always say that I'm the boss and my dog understands that. That's the only way that I can be the boss. It's because I'm the boss that I don't have to answer to anybody and I'm the boss and my dog respects me and he obeys me. That's the only way that I can be the boss and my dog obeys me. And I'm getting the respect that I need from my dog. He understands that because he knows that I'm the boss. And the reason why I'm getting the respect that I need from my dog is because he knows that I'm the boss. So, when I say I'm the boss and my dog respects me, he understands that, he knows that I'm the boss, he knows that I'm the boss and that he has to obey me and that he has to respect me and that he has to listen to me and that he has to watch me and that he has to stay out of my way and that he has to stay in my way and that he has to stay by my side and that he has to listen to me and that he has to stay out of my way and that he has to stay in my way and that he has to stay by my side and that he has to listen to me, that's what he understands, that he has to obey me, that he has to respect me and that he has to listen to me and that he has to stay out of my way, watch me, listen to me and stay out of my way, watch me and listen to me. That's what he understands.

And when I say that I'm the boss, my dog, I'm the boss, my dog understand that and that he has to obey me, he understands that he has to listen to me, he understands that he has to stay out of my way and watch me, watch me and listen to me. I'm the boss. He respects me, he follows me and stays by my side. He understands that he has to stay in my way. He follows me. He knows that I'm the boss. He has to obey me. He knows that he has to listen to me and that he has to stay out of my way, watch me, listen to me and stay out of my way, watch me and listen to me. That's what he understands.

It's not so much that I yell and yell at him. I'm the boss, remember, so I just sit down next to him, pick him up and keep him in my way, sit down next to him, keep him in my way, he doesn't understand. He doesn't understand anything, he's not very bright, he doesn't understand.

And if he doesn't understand, he has to stay out of my way. He has to watch me and he has to stay in my way and he has to stay by my side and he has to listen to me, he doesn't understand. He doesn't understand. He doesn't understand anything, he's not very bright, he's not very bright. He's not very bright, he's not very bright, he's not very bright, he's not very bright, he's not very bright.

So it's not so much that I yell and yell at him. And he looks at me and he sees me, so he knows, he knows that I'm the boss, so he knows, he knows that he has to obey me, he knows that he has to follow me, he knows that he has to listen to me and he knows that he has to stay out of my way, he knows that he has to stay in my way, he knows that he has to stay by my side, he knows that he has to listen to me and he knows that he has to stay by my side and he knows that he has to stay by my side and he knows that he has to listen to me and he knows that he has to stay by my side and he knows that he has to stay by my side and he knows that he has to stay by my side and he knows that he knows that he is very good at sniffing out, well, you know the rest.

What I want you to get out of this is that dogs are amazing creatures and that we can teach them. I am going to show you two methods that you can use for teaching your dog to be more obedient.

The first way is to use the 'Obedience Command' and the second is the 'Submission Command'.

The obedience command was how I trained my dog, and it is a very simple way to train your dog. It is a very basic way to train your dog and it does take some time to do it but it is the quickest way to train your dog.

The first thing you need to do is get your dog on a leash. I suggest that you get them off the couch where they can wander off and come running to you with a dog barking at him and trying to bite him. You are going to use this leash to give them commands.

The first thing you will want to do is take the leash and wrap it around your hand. Take hold of the leash and say 'Sit'. Once your dog sits say 'Stay'. You will want to do this over and over until your dog knows what it is and when he sits when you say it he will stay.

The next thing you want to do is take hold of the leash again and repeat 'Sit'. Once he sits say 'Stay' and do the same thing again.

And then the final step is to take hold of the leash, place your hand behind his head and squeeze. Do not pull on the leash, just make sure to grab the leash. Once you have said sit and squeezed your dog twice, you can release your hand. Now say 'Sit' and squeeze again.

Continue this exercise until your dog knows what the Sit command means. If you get frustrated, do not be, this process should take about 20 minutes. The most important thing is to use a command that your dog will be able to understand and execute, that is key. If you can do this, you are good at training your dog.

Pure dog


0 comments: